Saturday, November 1, 2014

Reconciling Darwin's evolution and the Big Bang with scripture

I have known the creation story from Genesis for a long long time.  It's a great story and I shrink from gainsaying it.  I have also known of Darwin, and of the Big Bang theory of creation for a long time.  There are a few points of difference between these stories  (to put it mildly).  I never was able to reconcile the stories in my own mind.  I simply accepted both stories as valid in their own place and time, and let it go at that.  The modern day attempt to blend scripture with Darwin, "creationism" never appealed to me.  Creationism didn't jibe well with Genesis, and was worthless as science. 
   So I was pleased the other day, to read that the Pope, a man far wiser and far more spiritual than I will ever be, had come out and said Darwin and the Big Bang were compatible with scripture.  I was unable to follow His Holiness's arguments, partly from the extremely brief Internet posting and partly from my lack of familiarity with philosophical concepts involved.  But it was pleasing to hear that I could continue to believe in both. 

No comments: