Friday, April 10, 2015

Tracfone

Under pressure from my children I went out and bought a cell phone.  The kids wanted to be able to reach me on the road to see when I might be getting in.  So, on advice of my brother, who has one, I bought a Tracfone from Walmart.  Cheap, phone was only $28 for a phone with a screen, a 60 minute card was only $19.88 getting me on the air for only $47.88.  It has a touch screen, built in camera, and a bunch of other stuff I haven't figured out yet.  No contract, no monthly bill, just buy more minutes when ever you run low.  Minutes are good for 150 days then they evaporate unless you buy more. 
   Shoplifting appears to be a problem.  Walmart had the hanger upon which the Tracfones hung locked, I had to get a clerk to unlock the rack so I could buy it.  Packaging is the ultra tough transparent stuff that required my Swiss Army knife to open.  Package contained the phone, battery, and charger/USB cable.  Following instructions I inserted the battery and plugged it in to charge the battery.  Phone refused to do anything else until it was fully charged.  
  Then it wanted to be "activated".  I logged into a website www.tracfone.com and answered a buncha questions, and after a couple of tries, the phone activated.  I placed a test call and it went thru.  I have cell phone coverage in Mittersill. Yeh!  Wasn't too sure about that since all the children's cell phones had had trouble connecting from here.  Progress. 
  Then I started thru the on-line instruction manual.  Step one was to identify which of 50 different models of phone I had.  I looked on the phone, and all it said with "LG"  A Korean outfit with a pretty good rep that used to call itself Lucky Goldstar, back when it got going making VCRs.  They changed their name to LG when they hit the big time and decided that Lucky Goldstar sounded too frivolous to American customers. But, LG had neglected to put the model number on the product, a major marketing goof in my book.  You always mark your company name and the product name or model number on the product.  Fortunately the model number was on the cover of the instruction booklet.
  Next trick is to enter important phone numbers into the phone's memory.  I'm stuck on that step as of now.  The only way to enter letters involved a telephone style keypad with three letters on each key.  Just hitting keys gives a gibberish name field, which doesn't work for me.  I'm researching this hiccup right now.
  And, more research required.  It rang, but I couldn't find my way to the "answer the call" button.   

No comments: